16 May 2008

friday football five

I'm putting too much pressure on myself to write something equally epic regarding the greatest recovery to a season in all of sports history, but something good will come. I'll make sure of it. In the meantime, I bring you my Friday football five.

1.Chad, Chris and Cuauhtemoc do Wrigley The boys did well and I'm sure they couldn't have done it without Blanco's conducting! When The Boyfriend text me to tell me Blanco was up in the booth, I didn't know what to think. I'm glad he recognized his English limitations. Considering The Boyfriend saw Rolfe in line for a beer before the game and Blanco acting a fool I'm sure they had plenty of alcohol in them at this point. Can't say that I blame any of them.

(I also can't believe I just went through that entire paragraph without anything negative to say about Chad Barrett...weird)



2.Blanco won goal of the week for his golazo against DC United last week. I love Blanco so much. It's not even because I'm Mexican and I'm like supposed to, I just really do. He's amazing!



3.My favorite soccer player from Green Bay (I can't say Wisconsin because that would include Jesse Marsch and I don't know if I could pick a fave between the two) is featured in one of the US Soccer commercials. Love it! He got mins in the first Championship play off game and started the second play off but that did nothing to turn the tide for Watford. They're still going to remain a Championship team. I think they could have definintely been one of the three to get promoted but they've just been in a funk for the entire second half of the season(coincidentally the same amount of time Jay's been on the bench) so they really didn't deserve it. Jay's been whining for the past month about the lack of playing time so we'll see if the coach goes or Jay goes.

Probably the only reason I'm glad the end of the English season is here is because I'm anxious to see what happens with Jay and Carlos. As much as it pains me, Carlos needs to find somewhere else to play ball. I don't think Roy will ever make him a starter no matter who comes and goes from the Fulham defensive unit this offseason. Jay and Carlos are both too good to be sitting the bench. I'd like to see Jay stick it out at Watford if only because I just got a Watford jersey with his name on the back and was only able to wear it once this spring. Carlos, though, well his time in the SW6 seems done for.

4.No UEFA cup for Fulham Fulham could have qualified for the UEFA cup via the Fair Play table. The rest of the teams in front of them on this Fair Play table have already qualified for Europe so the next fair play team available would have been Fulham. They could have gone from relegation to Europe in 60 seconds, but their Hollywood ending wasn't meant to be. Man City, despite getting a red during their last game, is the team who is going to qualify with that spot. That's right, the same Man City who has been talking about firing Sven for the past month because he didn't deliver Europe to them, is going to Europe. Who would have thought? Their owner is a nitwit! Anyone who doesn't think Man City was tanking it in their 8-1 loss this past weekend needs to watch the highlights again. I've never seen professional athletes care so little about being scored on and I'm a fan of the Bucks. I've seen tanking at it's finest up close and in person. Man City did tanking proud.

5. US Roster announced for their tripleheader of pain coming up Okay, that England game won't be that bad but they're playing Spain a few days before they start Euro and Argentina which is just bad on anyday. Anyways, if you can get through the list of a bajillion goalkeepers they're taking (really, Brad Guzan? Bob-o have you seen our homeboy play lately? ;)) you'll see the return of one DAMARCUS BEASLEY!! I didn't realize how much I missed him until I saw his name on the list. Yeah, D Beas! I know they're only friendlies, but I can't wait for these games! Maybe because I'll be able to see Carlos for the first time this millenium.

No comments: