24 May 2008

nsr: public service announcement

As I discussed in my poorly edited post yesterday, I went to the Lupe, n.e.r.d., Rhianna and Kanye Glow in the Dark tour and I have a few points I want to bring to your attention before you get to the show a half an hour late.

1.The Chicago show started at 7 and at 7:01 Lupe was on the stage performing his entire set. I thought he might just be out there to get the crowd warmed up for a few songs, but no, he ran through his entire set. Everyone around us got there late and were pissed when we told them they already missed Lupe. The most common thing heard, "The only reason I'm at this show is to see Lupe." I thought it was a complete disgrace that Lupe had to open up this show to a half full arena in his hometown. Lame!

2.If you're a fan of Lupe or n.e.r.d. don't expect to hear you favorite song. They blow through their sets, which is to be expected with so many acts. n.e.r.d. got the crowd bumping but they only performed like five songs. I'm sure you could guess what five songs they were too. At this point in the show I was upset that I didn't hear "Sunshine" or much off of Lupe's first album or "Maybe" by n.e.r.d.

3.n.e.r.d. will get you all pumped to sit through a 20 minute set change for lame ass Rhianna. No one was amped up to see her and she didn't even bring Chris Brown out there to sing "Umbrella" with her. He was there because he came out and danced to "Spazz" with n.e.r.d. During her set change we had enough time to get a beer, and there were hella lines, and for The Boyfriend to meet up and talk to the blogger who wishes The Boyfriend ate more salad. By the time her show started, I was ready for another beer. She also covers "Paper Planes" by M.I.A and a Lauryn Hill song. Absolute disgrace! As The Boyfriend said, he felt like he was at the Enormobowl during Karaoke Revolution.

4.All this craziness and disappointment will be completely worth while though when Kanye takes the stage. Don't even bother looking for clips on youtube because they most definitely don't do any justice to his show! He performs almost every song you would want him to(including the song I'm petitioning as the new anthem of the United States "Don't Stop Believing") and he does it all on his own. And all the Lupe fans who missed him were at least a little happier when he came out during "Touch The Sky". There's an entire story involved with the show and you have to see it all come together to really get the goosebumps experience.

5.You ain't cool unless you get a pair of Kanye glasses! For real. I held off on the temptation the entire night but there was one last guy selling them on the street we were parked on and I gave in. I'm sure the countless beers I drank all night had something to do with my impulse. But even this morning, it was a great buy. They're only ten dollars!

No comments: